` Micro Volunteer Fire Department - History


THE HISTORY OF MICRO FIRE DEPARTMENT
In 1956 a meeting was called at the Micro School. Only three people came to that meeting, so a second meeting was called. This time about forty people were there. They talked about organizing a fire department for the Micro Community. The people that were there really got behind the project.

A committee was formed and headed by Ray Wallace. In the next few weeks things started rolling. Land was purchased from Eily Mitchiner for $1,108.00. A truck was purchased through the war surplus for $125.00, an old 1946 REO. A used 2200 gallon tank was mounted on it by C. W. Williams Co. of Rocky Mount. Roger Fitzgerald was head of the building committee. Logs were donated from all over the community. Some of the people who donated logs were: C. B. Hinnant, Turner Wellons, Clarence Wellons, H. T. Flowers, and Walton Edgerton. These logs were picked up and carried to William Pittman's sawmill, where he donated all labor for sawing the logs.

We had one farmer in our community that was a non-believer when it came to donating anything for any cause. He didn't believe that the men were sincere about organizing and building a fire department. When he found out that they were really serious about it, he donated $100.00. About a week later he saw how everything was falling into place, so he donated another $100.00 and some logs from his woods. In their spare time men like Carl Smith, Marvin Aycock, Mack Spence, H. T. Flowers, J. T. Price, Jake Capps, Russell Scott, Joe Lane, Bob Gaddy, just to name a few, went to work on the building. Bob Gaddy and others helped wire the building for electricity. A lot of hard work by a lot of men had finally paid off, the REO had a home.

The Volunteer Fire Department was incorporated and chartered on November 18, 1958. We were now an officially recognized fire department. An outside siren was purchased but we didn't have a tower to place it on. A used water tower was purchased from Percy Flowers and was dismantled, brought back to Micro and reassembled. The siren was placed on top to alert members of a fire. This tower and siren are still in use today. During tobacco barning season firemen would sleep in Carl Smith's grocery store to answer the phone because this was the number that people called to report a fire.

We used the 1946 REO by itself until 1962, at which time we got our first new truck, a 1962 Ford with a 500 gallon tank and 500 gallon per minute pump. We really had something to be proud of now. Things were really hard for us until a fire tax was voted in for our fire district. After we were approved for the fire tax the department started to grow. In 1968, we purchased a 10 wheeler ford to replace the 1946 REO. We put the tank from the REO on the new truck. The new truck cost about $15,000.00. Things kept improving for the department. In 1976, we purchased a Ford van to use as an equipment truck. In 1980, we got our fourth truck, a 1000 gallon tanker with a 750 gallon per minuted pump at the cost of about $38,000.000. this truck was purchased from Atlas Fire Apparatus out of Raleigh.

In 1981, pagers were purchased and issued to every fireman so he could be alerted if there was a fire. Prior to this the siren was the only thing used to alert the community to a fire.

In 1984, we remodelled our building and added two more bays. In 1986, we purchased a 3.4 ton Dodge from Federal Surplus. We added a utility body with a slide in pump unit. This became our truck for brush, grass, and woods fires. Our total cost for this truck was about $6,000.00. This truck was refitted by our own firemen: Willie Boyette, Mike Boyette, Percell Holland, Jr., Gerald Johnson, and Russell fitzgerald were some of them. In 1989, we purchased a stepvan from Texilease of Goldsboro for $1,000.00. Again some of our firemen refitted this truck with emergency lights, cabinets, paint job, wiring, and a cascade system for filling air bottles. Some of the firemen doing the work were: Randy Holloman, Russell Creech, Willie Boyette, Mike Boyette, Ken Lane, and Percell Holland, Jr. In 1991, the tank was replaced on the 1968 truck by Evans Tank Service of Kenly. The old tank had been in use since 1946.

In February 1993, a new program was started called the First Responder Program. This is specially trained firemen who respond with the rescue squad to help people who are sick or injured. We have eleven people trained to this level. On March 25, 1993, we took delivery of our newest truck, a 1993 GMC Topmount pumper/tanker with 1000 gallons of water and a 1250 gallons per minute pump. This truck was manufactured by E-One in Ocala Florida and purchased through C. W. Williams of Rocky Mount. The cost of this truck was $142,000.00. This 1993 truck replaced the 1962 truck which had seen it best days in the fire service and had saved millions of dollars worth of property. This truck was sold to Micro Farm supply and is being used on the farm in day to day activities.

We are proud of every fireman that has served on our department through the years and those that serve with us now. We started with a dream, with a lot of hard work by a lot of men and women in this Dire District, we have met our dream.

 
2009
2010
FIRE
FR
FIRE
FR
January
10
20
13
12
February
11
20
10
10
March
10
16
17
18
April
23
23
15
19
May
10
16
15
17
June
19
14
11
17
July
27
20
6
23
August
11
23
9
21
September
15
21
18
20
October
8
19
7
17
November
13
20
15
17
December
11
13
13
11
Totals
168
255
149
202
Grand
393
351